Frankly, it would have just been a whole lot easier if no one knew we were supposed to darken our lashes, lighten our dark circles, or change the color of our eyelids. Unfortunately women, makeup was invented, and I wouldn’t be caught dead outside of my four walls without at least a quick swipe of foundation and 1 coat of mascara. At least. (Note: major kudos if you are comfortable without it –honestly, not everyone needs it. This is just me.)
Makeup has never truly been my strongest suit either, but over the past couple of years (aided by bloggers, YouTube, and lovely educated cosmetic ladies) I’ve been trying to broaden my beauty spectrum. After becoming somewhat of a product junkie, I realized quickly: it’s not cheap. Also, you get what you pay for most of the time. (My skin would appreciate it if I never use one particular $2 liquid eyeliner again. Ouch.)
I’ve found that playing with different products, brushes, and shades can actually be a lot of fun though, which is why I finally bit the $10/month bullet and subscribed to Birchbox.
Their website says, “Birchbox is the leading discovery commerce platform. We are redefining the retail process by offering consumers a unique and personalized way to discover, learn about, and shop the best beauty, grooming, and lifestyle products on the market.” (For more, click here.)
I say, basically they take $10 from my bank account every month in exchange for a little box of surprise personalized beauty wonder samples. In theory, I’ll stop wasting so much money on new-product-fixes.
My first box came at the end of last week, and I was 90% pleased. (Everybody gets a slightly different box based on the profile you fill out on the website.)
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer -I was actually already a believer in this product, but was really excited to get this little buddy for my travel makeup bag. It really does help create a really nice, smooth finish for foundation.
- COOLA Environmental Repair After-Sun Lotion -While I primarily work in an office and play in shopping malls, I haven’t had a great opportunity to use this one, I want to wait until I get some serious sun to test it out. I am really excited, though, by the high reviews it gets.
- PIXI Beauty Shea Butter Lip Balm in shade Coral –Wow. this is not what I was expecting it to be. I sort of lazily just swiped this over my lips expecting a slightly tinted lip balm, and it felt really nice going on. But I realized the punch it packs when I caught my reflection. This. Is. Bright. A lovely color, it could easily stand alone as more of a smooth, butter lipstick.
- Caudalie Polyphenol C15 Overnight Detox Oil -I would need to use this more than once to see any real effect. I wore a few drops of this under moisturizer I use on my face at night, and in the morning couldn’t decide if my face seemed brighter, or if I was imagining this because it was supposed to be. For me, the jury is still out unless I decide to buy a full bottle and truly test it.
- SmartyPants All-in-One Gummy Adult Vitamins -Really, Birchbox? You sent me vitamins? This is where I was 10% less than satisfied with my first box. (Post-disappointment, I have to admit -they are kind of delicious.)
Overall, I’m going to keep my subscription going because I was really pleased, and feel like with most of the products the box paid for itself.
Do you subscribe to Birchbox, or how do you sample new products? Let’s talk about it!